Educate zoo visitors about conservation and gain experience with teaching, leadership, and public speaking while learning about animals and their environments.
Who is this program for?
The Discovery Guide program is for teenagers and college students.
Based in the Prospect Park Zoo's Education Department, Discovery Guides are seasonal volunteers (14 and older) who receive training in customer service and basic interpretation. Discovery Guides focus on a select group of visitor experiences and, in turn, gain experience with teaching, leadership, public speaking, and learn about animals and the wild places they inhabit!
What are some of the responsibilities?
- Interact with children, families, and general visitors at select exhibits and educational activities around the zoo
- Help out with birthday parties and special events, like Boo at the Zoo
- Interact with children in the Discovery Center and during school break camps
- Participate in the Wildlife Conservation Society's Conservation Action campaigns
are not currently accepting applications for our Discovery Guide program. Check
back in late fall for the Spring 2018 application.
- Make a difference
- Meet like-minded teens and make new friends
- Earn school community service hours
- Increase animal knowledge
- Gain work experience and build your college resume
- Receive a discount on food and retail items at the Prospect Park Zoo
For more information call 718-399-7339 ext 325 or email