Educate zoo visitors about conservation and gain experience with teaching, leadership, and public speaking while learning about animals and their environments.
Who is this program for?
The Discovery Guide program is for teenagers and college students.
Based in the Prospect Park Zoo's Education Department, Discovery Guides are seasonal volunteers (14 and older) who receive training in customer service and basic interpretation. Discovery Guides focus on a select group of visitor experiences and, in turn, gain experience with teaching, leadership, public speaking, and learn about animals and the wild places they inhabit!
What are some of the responsibilities?
- Interact with children, families, and general visitors at select exhibits and educational activities around the zoo
- Help out with birthday parties and special events, like Boo at the Zoo
- Interact with children in the Discovery Center and during school break camps
- Participate in the Wildlife Conservation Society's Conservation Action campaigns
- Make a difference
- Meet like-minded teens and make new friends
- Earn school community service hours
- Increase animal knowledge
- Gain work experience and build your college resume
- Receive a discount on food and retail items at the Prospect Park Zoo
Take the Next Step
Click on the link below and get started!
Send the completed application by email to email@example.com or by mail to Coordinator of Volunteers, Prospect Park Zoo, 450 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11225. Participants must be 14 years old and have completed middle high school to participate. In addition to the application, all graduating middle school and high school students must have a teacher submit a letter of recommendation.
If we think you'd be a good fit for the program, you'll be invited to a group interview, and you will be required to attend a full training before beginning your volunteer duties.
Download the application
The deadline for Summer 2017 applications is May 1, 2017
For more information call 718-399-7339 ext 325 or email